Can I watch NOW TV with subtitles?
We know subtitles are an important part of the TV experience for many of our members, and we’ve worked hard to increase the amount of subtitles across the NOW TV Passes and devices.
- Cinema Pass – 1000s of on demand movies now come with subtitles. All new movies added will also have subtitles available.
- Entertainment Pass – 100s of on demand shows have subtitles available, and all new shows added will come with subtitles, where available. We’ll be adding subtitles to more shows on the Entertainment Pass back catalogue soon too.
- NOW TV Box and Smart Stick apps – You can also view subtitles on apps including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Netflix and YouTube.
How do I know if subtitles are available?
For now only selected on demand movies and shows have subtitles available – but we're adding more every day. If you see an S symbol in the show information, then subtitles are available.
Subtitles are available on all supported devices, except for YouView.
Sky Cinema Pass
Subtitles are available for over 1000 on-demand movies, and all new movies added to the service will have subtitles.
Hundreds of on-demand shows have subtitles available at the moment.
We'll be adding subtitles to even more of our shows in the future. Keep an eye on this page for updates.
Turning on subtitles for all available shows and movies (see above) will also enable subtitles on many of the catch-up apps on your NOW TV device, including:
- BBC iPlayer
- ITV Hub
- All 4
- Demand 5
Bear in mindAlthough subtitles are available on many of the catch-up apps on the NOW TV Smart Stick and Box, these aren’t supplied by NOW TV and we can’t guarantee that all shows will have subtitles available.
Got a NOW TV Box or NOW TV Smart Stick? Just start watching the movie or show, and press the star (*) button on your NOW TV remote.
Alternatively, use the arrow buttons on your NOW TV remote to select the speech bubble symbol in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
If you're watching NOW TV on a Samsung TV, EE TV, Playstation, Xbox One or Apple TV, just select the speech bubble symbol using either your console or TV remote.
Bear in mind On a PS4, Xbox One, LG TV or Samsung TV, subtitles will be switched on for all shows and movies until you exit the NOW TV app. On other devices, subtitles might be switched off when you watch a different show or movie.
Some devices have a setting to turn on subtitles to display automatically whenever they’re available.
On a NOW TV Box or NOW TV Smart Stick:
- Go to your homescreen and select Settings from the main menu.
- Select Subtitles, and then select On.
- You’ll see a tick to indicate subtitles are now turned on for all available movies and shows.
You can also turn on subtitles for all available shows on the devices below. Just look for the Subtitles setting on the main menu.
- XBox One
- EE TV
- LG TV
- Samsung TV
We're aware of an issue where subtitles are appearing on some iOS devices automatically. To turn subtitles off for all movies and shows on your iPhone or iPad, just follow these steps:
- Go to Settings, then General.
- Select Accessibility, and then Subtitles and Captioning.
- Switch off the Closed Captions + SDH setting.
If you can't see the option to turn on subtitles on your iOS or android device, you might need to update to the latest version of the NOW TV app first.