How to fix problems with your Roku player
Most Roku player issues can be fixed by trying out some of the steps below. Keep checking if your problem is resolved after each step. If it is, you won’t need to go any further.
- Unplug both your wireless router and Roku player.
- Wait a few minutes. Then plug your router back in first, followed by your Roku.
You won’t need to set up your box after doing this. Just head over to the main menu and try the NOW app again.
Check that your Roku player is plugged in first. This will return the box to its default factory settings.
- Locate the RESET hole at the back.
- Push a pin into the hole, and hold it down for about 30 seconds until the box resets.
Disable network pings:
Struggling to connect your Roku player to your wireless network or seeing an error 014 message? Try this simple solution:
- Press these buttons quickly on your remote control:
Fast Forward x1
- Select Disable Network Pings from the options that appear on the next screen.
- Go back, find the Connection Setup screen and try connecting to your network again.
If you’re a Virgin Media customer:
You may need to create a Guest Network for your Roku. This extra step just protects the personal and financial details on your Virgin network – for your peace of mind.
Changing the amount of ‘bits’ of data (the techie term is bitrate) streaming through your Roku player could improve your picture quality.
- Press these buttons on your remote control:
Fast Forward x2
You’ll see a screen with various bitrate options. Just select ‘Automatic’ and try watching your programme again.
Your wireless signal strength varies in different parts of your home. For instance, certain household appliances can block it, or there may even be 'dead spots'.
Depending on where your Roku player is located, you may notice an improvement if you reposition it. Simply move it closer to your wireless router and check if that makes a difference.
This updates your software, fixing any faults in the process.
- Start by pressing your NOW remote control buttons in this order:
Fast Forward x3
- Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
- Press OK, even if you already have the latest version.