How to improve slow broadband speed
Wi-Fi not up to speed? Go through these steps to improve your broadband speed, so you can get back online without any interruptions as soon as possible.
Step 1: Restart your Hub
The first thing you need to do to make sure you're getting as fast a connection as possible is restart your Hub, to automatically switch to the channel with the least interference.
Just press the reset button on the back of your Hub for 10 seconds.
NOW Broadband Hub
NOW Broadband Hub Two
If restarting your Hub didn't help, try going through the steps below one by one, until your broadband is up to speed.
Step 2: Test your line
Run a line test to check your service status for network updates and troubleshooting tips to speed up your connection.
We'll also check your broadband speed, and let you know how it measures up compared to the speed you should be getting.
Step 3: Check your devices
How many devices do you have connected to Wi-Fi?
Reducing the number of devices you have connected at any one time can significantly improve your broadband performance.
Keep in mindAny smart devices connected to your Wi-Fi, including fridges and satnavs, can also affect your speed.
Step 4: Split your Wi-Fi bands
Got a NOW Broadband Hub Two? Splitting the bands on your Hub to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:
- Connect your Hub to your laptop or computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
- Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
- Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings.
- Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
- In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
- Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
- To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
- That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
Keep in mindYou need a NOW Broadband Hub Two to split your Wi-Fi bands. You can't do this with the older-style NOW Hub.
Not sure if your got a NOW Hub Two, or the older-style NOW Hub? Check below:
Step 5: Check your Hub setup
- Where is your Hub positioned? Make sure it’s not on the floor, or stuck behind the TV, and kept well away from other wireless devices, like baby monitors.
- Where are your devices located? The nearer your device is to your Hub, the stronger your connection will be.
- Check for reflective surfaces. Reflective surfaces such as mirrors, windows or Christmas lights could interfere with your Wi-Fi signal if they’re placed between your Hub and your device.