What is broadband auto-compensation?
In line with Ofcom’s automatic compensation scheme, NOW Broadband members are eligible for compensation in certain circumstances.
You’ll automatically receive compensation if:
- An issue with your broadband and/or calls service leads to a total loss of service for 2 or more full working days.
- Your engineer misses an appointment for a broadband and/or calls visit.
- Your new NOW Broadband and/or NOW Calls service is delayed and doesn't go live on the date we confirmed in writing.
Check the table below for more info on these issues and the amount of compensation you can expect to receive:
You may be entitled to compensation if...
|Total loss of service||Your broadband and/or calls service has stopped working and isn't totally fixed after 2 full working days.||£8.06 for each day the service isn't fixed|
|Missed appointment||The engineer misses your scheduled appointment, or we cancel or change the appointment with less than 24 hours' notice.||£25.18 for each missed appointment|
|Delay with your new broadband and/or calls service||We fail to start your broadband and/or calls service on the confirmed date. (Keep in mind, the confirmed date may be different to the provisional date we initially gave you.)||£5.04 for each day your service is delayed (including the day it was due to go live)|
Keep in mindAuto-compensation will only apply to orders and faults after 1 April 2019.
Want to make a complaint about auto-compensation? Find out how to make a complaint.
Not sure whether you’re eligible to receive auto-compensation? Check below for more details on each issue:
For your NOW Calls service:
- You’re unable to make or receive any calls.
- Your phone service only lets you make or receive one-way transmissions.
For your NOW Broadband service:
- You can’t access the internet at all on any of your devices (this doesn’t include any issues caused by your NOW Broadband Hub or devices not working properly).
Keep in mindWe'll need either an engineer visit or after a line test from the telephone exchange to confirm a total loss of service.
How is my compensation calculated?
If you report a total loss of service, we’ll send an engineer to visit or test your line from the exchange. If a total loss of service is confirmed and it isn’t fixed by 11:59pm on the second full working day after reporting it, we’ll give you compensation. If your total loss of service goes on for longer than 2 working days after you reported it, then we’ll give you compensation for each day after that until we fix it.
For example, if you report a fault at any time on Monday, we’ll give you compensation if the fault isn’t fixed by 11.59pm on Wednesday.
Some factors that might affect your compensation:
- We’ll only give you compensation up to the first engineer appointment we give you (if required). If the repair is delayed because your engineer missed the appointment, we’ll try and rebook the appointment with you.
- If we can't reach you to book an appointment, we'll give you compensation up to the first available appointment date. Please make sure you contact us to rebook.
- If the repair is delayed because you missed the appointment, we’ll stop the compensation and only start it again if the repair isn’t completed during the next engineer visit.
- Compensation isn’t given for the day the fault was fixed.
- We’ll give you compensation if both your broadband and calls are affected by a total loss of service (£8.06 a day). If only one of your broadband or calls is affected, you’ll still receive £8.06 a day in compensation.
We won’t give you compensation if:
- The fault is found in your home (including a problem with your NOW Broadband Hub or devices).
- The total loss of service was caused by a planned network outage that we told you about in advance.
Our repair commitment is to fix a total loss of service for your broadband and/or calls service before midnight on the second full working day. For example, if you report a fault on Tuesday, we commit to fix it before midnight on Thursday.
Working days are Mondays to Fridays (not including bank holidays).
If you report an issue over the weekend, we’ll treat it as if it was reported at the start of the next working day.
We’ll give you compensation if the engineer doesn’t attend the appointment slot we confirmed.
Auto-compensation is not due if we change the time of your appointment or cancel the appointment with more than 24 hours’ notice.
If you agree to change your appointment slot on the day of the scheduled visit, then you won’t be eligible for compensation.
If your NOW Broadband or Calls service isn’t live by 11:59pm on the date we confirmed in writing, we’ll give you compensation for every full day you’re without service, including your missed activation date.
If your service is meant to go live on Wednesday but is delayed until Thursday, then we’ll give you £5.04 (for the missed activation day).
If it goes live on Friday, then we’ll give you £10.08 (£5.04 for the missed activation day, and £5.04 for the one day that you had to wait for your service to go live).
Bear in mind:
- If the activation is delayed because your engineer missed the appointment, we'll try to rebook the appointment with you. If we can't reach you, we'll give you compensation up to the first available appointment. Please make sure you contact us to rebook, otherwise your order will cancel after 14 days of not hearing from you.
- If the activation is delayed because you missed an appointment, the compensation will stop and only start again if the activation isn’t complete during the next engineer visit.
- We’ll give you compensation if the provision of both your broadband and calls service are delayed (£5.04 a day). If only one of your broadband or call service is delayed, you’ll still receive £5.04 a day in compensation.
We won't give you compensation if:
- Your Hub doesn’t work when we get there.
- Your Hub doesn’t arrive after we send it and we have proof of postage.
- The fault is found in your home.
- We didn't confirm the activation date for your new services.
Has your service been connected, but you still have no phone or internet connection? Then you might be eligible for total loss of service compensation instead.
A credit will be applied to your NOW Broadband account.
If you don’t have an active billing account, we’ll send the compensation straight to the card details you gave us for the one-off payment when you made the booking.
Your compensation will be received within 30 days of the missed appointment, activation of your service, or when your service is restored.
If you have a total loss of service, you'll need to get in touch to let us know. We'll investigate and determine whether you're due compensation.
If your service activation date is delayed or an engineer misses an appointment to fix or install your service, you don't need to do anything. We'll automatically give you the compensation you're due.
For a delayed provision: If you cancel before your service goes live, you’ll receive compensation up until your cancellation date.
For a total loss of service: If you cancel your service before we’ve fixed the issue, you’ll receive compensation up until your cancellation date.
We might not give you compensation if:
- You don’t take the earliest rescheduled appointment we offer, or we don’t hear from you.
- There’s a civil emergency (for example an act of terrorism).
- We find a fault in your home (including a problem with your NOW Broadband Hub or devices).
- You change your appointment or activation date from the one we’ve given you.
- The engineer can’t get to the connection point for your service (for example if a car is parked in the way, or the telephone pole is in your neighbours garden).
More exclusions may apply.