How to set up a Parental PIN for Apple TV
Are you being asked to enter a Parental PIN when you try to watch live channels?
This is because a Parental PIN is mandatory to watch live Sky Cinema and Entertainment channels at certain times, depending on your device. (Not sure which generation Apple TV you have? Check here.)
I've got Apple TV HD (4th gen) or 4K
You'll need a PIN to watch most live Sky Cinema channels (except Family), and 3 Entertainment channels (Sky Atlantic, Sky Comedy and Sky Documentaries), between 5.30am and 9pm.
If you don't already have a PIN and you don't have a NOW TV account, follow the steps below. Already got a NOW TV account and just need a PIN? You can skip straight to step 3.
I've got Apple TV 2nd or 3rd gen
You'll need a PIN to watch all live Sky Cinema and Entertainment channels at all times. If you can't set up a PIN because you bought your Passes through iTunes and don’t have a NOW TV account, here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: Create a NOW TV account
- Head over to NOWTV.com and pick a Pass. If you’ve already got the Pass you want through iTunes and you don’t want to buy another one, you can start a free trial.
- Enter your details, including payment info, to complete your sign-up.
- If you don’t want to keep the Pass you’ve just started a trial for, you can now cancel it. Head to the Passes & vouchers area of My Account, hit Cancel Pass or Manage Pass next to the relevant Pass, and follow the cancellation steps right to the end.
- We'll send a cancellation confirmation to the email address you signed up with. You'll still be able to enjoy your 7-day free trial, but when it ends, you won't be charged.
Step 2: Sign in to the app on your Apple TV
Next, head back to your Apple TV, sign out of the NOW TV app, then sign back in with your NOW TV account details.
Your 2 accounts will now be linked, letting you:
- watch all your Passes on any supported device – not just on Apple TV
- buy and manage Passes through your NOW TV account as well as via iTunes, should you want to.
Step 3: Set up a Parental PIN
Now that you’ve got a NOW TV account, you can set up your PIN in just a few clicks:
- Go to the Settings & PINs area of My Account
- Select Set up Parental PIN
- Enter your PIN, confirm your password and Save PIN
- All certificates will be selected as your default age rating. To choose a different rating, just select Change settings.
Keep in mindYou’ll be asked to enter your Parental PIN when you watch any live Sky Cinema or Entertainment channel, even if you’ve got your PIN switched off, and regardless of the age rating of the show or movie being aired.