How to fix 'Error Getting Video Information / Obtaining Licence' message on NOW TV
If you’re seeing a red bar at the top of the screen that either says Error getting video information or Error obtaining licence, here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow.
- Clear your browser’s cache and history – refresh before attempting to play again.
- Make sure your browser is fully up to date.
- Add NOWTV.com to your browser’s pop-up blocker exceptions.
- Make sure you're not using private browsing.
- Make sure your browser is not blocking 3rd party cookies.
- Make sure that all relevant system updates have been installed (e.g. Windows updates).
- Make sure your Java and Flash plugins are up to date.
- Make sure appropriate sound and video drivers are installed.
- Make sure you don't have a firewall or ad-block program that may be blocking NOW TV.
- Find out which Windows operating system you're on by following these steps:
- Click on the Windows icon
- Right click on Computer
- Click on Properties.
- You'll then be able to see whether you’re running Windows 7, XP, etc.
- If you're using a 64bit version of Windows please use a browser and version of Silverlight optimised for 64-bit systems and enable compatibility modes for Windows 7 32-bit.
- If you’re using the N or KN editions of Windows 7, you may need to download a Media Feature Pack for Silverlight and NOW TV to work. Download the Media Feature Pack
Open Silverlight, which you can usually find in the following directory providing you installed to its default location - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.10411.0.
Open the file named Silverlight Configuration. You can also find this using the Windows XP or 7 search functions in your Start Menu by searching ‘Silverlight’.
Once Silverlight is open you will then need to check the Application Storage & Permissions tabs. From here remove ALL entries from the list. Please also make sure that Enable application storage... is selected on the Application Storage tab.
Click on the Playback tab. Once there, un-check the top box marked Enable download and updates…, then click OK, open up your web browser and try NOW TV again. If it doesn't work, please make a note of the error message you receive, whether it’s different to your original error, or if you just get a blank screen.
Close all browser windows and tabs again. Now go back to the same place in the Silverlight settings. This time, ensure that the top box marked Enable download and updates… is checked, and click OK. Reopen your browser and try to play NOW TV again. You may be asked to Enable Silverlight – please also make a note of whether you are asked this.
If the above does not work, close all web browser windows and tabs once more. Open the settings again and find the Enable Hardware - accelerated playback checkbox, ensuring that it is unchecked. See the picture below for the correct final settings. If you cannot amend this setting or it is greyed out please also make a note of this.
Re-open your web browser and attempt to watch NOW TV. Please give it a few minutes to load, while Silverlight works its magic.
If you are still receiving the error, go to Rebuild Silverlight database.
The following steps require you to rename an important file, so please make sure that you are comfortable doing so before going any further.
Close all browsers so that you can complete the next steps:
Open a new Windows Explorer (not to be confused with Internet Explorer) window and copy the following directory "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady" into the address bar as shown below.
You should now see a file named mspr.hds.
Click this and rename it to mspr.hds.old.
Once you're finished, open the web browser of your choosing, sign into the NOW TV website and attempt to watch a movie or sporting event. Give the player a couple of minutes to rebuild your PlayReady database.
If you are still receiving the error, go to Change your Active X Controls.
Change your Active X controls
Close all browsers.
Access your control panel from the Start Menu.
Select Internet Options (If you are using the category view you will first need to select Network and Internet).
In the new window select the Security tab and choose Custom level from the security level section.
You will need to then find the ActiveX controls section and enable Display video and animation on a webpage that does not use an external media player.
Open your browser of choice, log in to the NOW TV website and try to watch another movie, programme or sporting event.